This isn't really a blog, its more of a holding page for my domain (seems a shame not to have a page), if I know you then add me on either LinkedIn or Facebook (links are on the right), however if I don't know you then I won't add you!

Monday 11 July 2011

Protecting your digital belongings


Fifteen years ago most of my music was on mini discs and CDs, my photos were developed at supersnaps and put into an album and my school/college work although on computer was printed out.
 
However all of my family photos are now stored on my laptop, along with all of my music and my university work, any number of events could very easily result in the loss of all of these things:-
  • Loss/theft of my computer
  • Virus/hardware failure of my computer
  • Accidental damage to my computer (easy when you have young children)
These are in addition to the conventional threats that could result in the loss of physical items in your home such as burglary and house fire/flood.

What precautions to the majority of people take to protect all of their digital belongings (photos, music, documents)?

Large organisations have backup and disaster recovery strategies in place, so what can the home consumer do?

Local backup
Using relatively inexpensive removable drives (such as pen drives and external drives) home users can backup their important documents and have relative peace of mind that they are safe.

Remote backup
With the emergence of high speed home internet and cloud based storage solutions online backup is relatively affordable for most home users.  Services such as Dropbox and Live drive can be used to automatically sync folders with an online version.

Although carrying out most of the above you need to be fairly IT literate and secondly understand the risk to your digital possessions to put them in place, it’s not a huge amount of use putting the above in place after your computer has failed and you’ve lost those valuable photos from your round the world trip.

Useful links

No comments:

Post a Comment